Confession of a Dangerous Mine

A couple of years back, I was a Sophomore with just a month past my freshmen year. Staying far away from home, visiting pages that publish news about home was one of the daily must to do task. It so happen during those days that I came across an online poll of Miss Zomi. It was hosted on one of the online edition of the pages that I frequented. 
Initially there were just an hundred voters who voted online. To be more precise this online poll was a part of the contest for the coveted title for the Miss Zomi. Among the list, there were just two people who I knew were from my community. I voted for one who looks better than the other one. Then came the present statistics. With around 19% of the total votes casted for her, she was way behind in the race. 
Then I began to do something which I would neither gain profit from it nor loss out of it. In fact, she was not known to me and It is for sure that the reverse wouldn't hold true either. 
With our computer lab having around a hundred of computers being networked together. I began! The poll was designed in such a way that each unique voter in the sense that each unique computer can vote a single vote only. It was programmed so. But even if I cannot utilise the good side of technology to its fullest, I atleast know how to use the other side of it.
So I began my vote. I keep voting. May be around two hours or so. By the time I polled my last vote she got around 78 percent of the overall votes casted.

The next day was the real contest day. On the 20th of February, it was. The real stage show thing happens. It turns out to be that she was real good. She did really well. [As I saw video clippings of  the contest later] She finds favour of the judges to be crowned the MISS ZOMI title.
I presumed she deserved the title. But the thought came across my mind several times what if the online polls were the deciding factor of the contest. Then I would like to give myself the undeserved credit of voting her to get coveted the title. 

Comments